Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Lesson 9: A Healthier, Happier Lifestyle

Ahh..... the days of warmed up hot dogs, and ramen noodles! Ok, really, I don't really miss them very much. Lets face it, as a married person, its a lot more worth it for me to take care of myself, if only because I have someone else around that I want to take care of. I eat better, I sleep more, I would say I probably have less stress, and being married gives me a reason to go out and do more things.

Its proven: Married people live longer! Numerous studies have shown that there are a lot of benefits to one's overall well being and quality of life. While there may not be a direct quantifiable financial benefit, there are definitely improvements to everyone's productivity when they are happier and healthier. Overall, there is probably a slight (at least initial) cost to healthier living - more on this tomorrow. But the improvement in well-being is something that money can't buy, nor something that should have a price associated with it. Maybe in a strict dollars and cents calculations you'd come out a little ahead, maybe a little behind - in the end, who cares?

I've seen a number of posts elsewhere where people question whether financially it makes sense to get married. I would say that the question really misses the point of marriage in the first place. Saving, discussing and planning should be part of the marriage, but shouldn't be the reason for it. I'm thankful that in getting married, I have a life partner that I can share the rest of my life with. That is worth more to me than all the money in the world.

No comments: